Friday, September 3, 2010

Afternoon Shadows pastel by Niki Gulley


“Afternoon Shadows” Gilson Park, Chicago, IL ©2010 Niki Gulley
Pastel • 10” x 8”

I used to love going for a Sunday drive with my family when I was a kid. Sometimes we’d head to this park, which ran along Lake Michigan on a perfect autumn afternoon. We’d park and walk along the beach until we got to where the boats were docked, and then we’d wander onto the Bahaii Temple, with its amazing architecture and intricate carved ivory details, before we’d double back. In Afternoon Shadows, I wanted to depict a beautiful autumn day when the leaves are turning, there’s a slight chill in the air, the afternoon sun is casting mysterious long shadows and you can just make out the top of the temple in the distance, all while reminiscing about a simpler time and place.

To see “Afternoon Shadows” in person, stop by my booth at the Oakbrook Fine Art Invitational this weekend in Oakbrook, II. For more information on the show, go to oakbrookcenter.com/events/48th-annual-invitational-fine-art-exhibition.

Or, e-mail me at Niki@NikiGulley.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment